Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Working with Mother Teresa

An important step towards Medical Onshoring (pat. pend.) ..

Once upon a time, someone whom I befriended volunteered for a year with Mother Teresa in Calcutta. My friend's letters were very gripping -- how, at the moment of death, the very great and mutual gratitude between patient and caregiver that fairly glowed. Pretty intense stuff. (And yes, Calcutta was like the Mumbi of "Slumdog Millionaire").

When my friend, age 34, returned to the U.S., many questions arose about what to do next. After long -- and sometimes pointed -- discussions, my friend decided to apply to medical school. Fifty of them. I suggested 10 was probably enough. At least 15 applications went out.

As a "Public Ivy" master's graduate, I explained what was required. I edited the admissions essay.

Accepted at Northwestern. Accepted at Harvard. Dang.

This was just another step in the process of developing Medical Onshoring (pat.-pend.). And doing what you can, with what you have.

Not politics. Not power and turf-wars. Not just money.


Just doing what has to be done, 110%.

No comments: